Call for applications for the CERN Summer Student Program 2019. Candidates of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this Summer Student Programme. The duration of the CERN Summer Program is 8 to 13 weeks.
One of CERN’s key missions is education. Our professionals very much enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise with students who are committed and passionate about their chosen field. There’s no better way to learn than on-the-job. And when that job happens to be in a world-famous research organisation and centre of scientific excellence, it’s even better.
CERN is also offering
Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics? Are you looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Summer Student Program!
CERN SUMMER STUDENT PROGRAM 2019 DETAILS:
SUMMER PROGRAM LOCATION:
SUMMER PROGRAM DURATION:
- 8-13 Weeks
Popular International Internships 2019, Check out these too:
- International Paid Internship in Canada
- IST Summer Internship in Austria
- DESY Summer Internship in Germany
- CERN Technical Studentships 2019
- Taiwan International Internships
SUMMER PROGRAM ACTIVITIES:
- Over a period of 8 to 13 weeks, you will work on an advanced technical project in an experimental or engineering team.
- During this unique and exciting time, you can attend a series of lectures specially prepared for you where experts and scientists from around the world share their knowledge about a wide range of topics in the fields of theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering and computing. Visits to the CERN facilities, as well as discussion sessions and workshops are also key features of the programme.
- A short report on your work and project at CERN will be expected at the end of your stay.
SUMMER PROGRAM BENEFITS:
CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 8 to 13 weeks* to work on a technical project.
- An extensive physics lecture programme (students will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by Openlab).
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee,
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution already deducted from allowance).
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2019, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2019 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
HOW TO APPLY FOR CERN SUMMER STUDENT PROGRAM 2019?
You will need the following documents to complete your application (please make sure to name the documents accordingly e.g. CV, motivation letter, academic transcript, reference letter):
- A CV in either English or French.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure the document is not protected so that we can open it).
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably 2, from your lecturers.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterwards).
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. You must forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2019).
If you are a national of either Canada, Japan or United States, please apply via the following websites:
- US: https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/um-cern-reu/
- Japan: http://www2.kek.jp/kokusai/cernsummerschool/index.html
- Canada: http://www.ipp.ca/programs/CERN_summer.shtml
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed their application before the deadline will pass to the next step of the selection process. The final results of the selection procedure will be communicated to candidates by mid-April 2019.
- The last to apply for CERN Summer Student Program 2019 in Switzerland is 31st January, 2019. Please note that recommendation letter must be uploaded before the application deadline.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION
Ensure your CV is complete with all skills and experience that make you stand out as a candidate.
Be as clear and specific as possible in the application fields “Education” and “Experience” in order to increase your chances of being selected. Also include in this section all the specific skills (e.g. programming languages, hardware, databases etc.) that you have acquired that will support your application.
And last but not least, make good use of the ‘Motivation’ section to tell us why you’re a great candidate for CERN!